Wednesday, November 22, 2017

Building Permits

In February 1996 the Town of Springfield passed a Town Ordinance which adopted the State of Wisconsin UDC, which stands for the “Uniform Dwelling Code.” When our town’s population grew to
2,500 we were mandated to adopt this code. To enforce the code and issue permits, the Town contracted shortly thereafter with Independent Inspections, LTD.

We would encourage you to call the town hall at 849-7887 before starting a building project to see if you do indeed need a building permit.

Town Ordinance 3.04 say that “no owner or contractor may commence construction of any building or mechanical system prior to obtaining a valid permit from the municipal building

The construction which shall require a building permit includes, but
is not limited to:
  1. New buildings
  2. Additions that increase the physical dimensions of a building including decks.
  3. Alterations to the building structure, cost shall include market labor value, or alternations to the building’s heating, electrical or plumbing systems.
  4. Replacement of major building equipment, including furnaces, and central air conditioners, water heaters and any other major piece of equipment shall require a permit.
  5. Alteration of plumbing, venting, electrical or gas supply systems.
  6. Any electrical wiring for new construction or remodeling
  7. Any plumbing for new construction or remodeling
  8. Agricultural buildings and mechanicals.

The following construction activities shall NOT require a building

  1. Re-siding, re-roofing, and finishing of interior surfaces, installation of cabinetry, and repairs which are deemed minor by the Building Inspector. Not withstanding this section, however, a permit accompanied by structural load-bearing calculations shall be required for re-roofing a building if the proposed re-roofing would constitute a third or more layer of roofing.
  2. Normal repairs of HV/AC, plumbing and electrical equipment or systems

After reading this list, you more than likely will still have projects that require the building inspector’s judgment as to whether or not a permit is needed. WHEN IN DOUBT, PLEASE CALL AND CHECK BEFORE STARTING A PROJECT. AVOID BEING RED TAGGED AND FRUSTRATING DELAYS.

Steps to Obtaining a Building Permit

  • Apply for a Driveway Permit from the Town of Springfield
  • Apply for a Zoning Permit from Dane County
    Go to Dane County Zoning, room 116, City-County Building, 210 Martin Luther Kind, Jr. Blvd., or call 266-4266 for more information.
  • To get a building permit
    Stop by the town hall on Wednesday from 11:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. (on a first come; first serve basis) or call 1-800-422-5220 to make an appointment with the inspector for a different day and time.
  • Fees will be collected before a permit is issued
  • A completion deposit will be required at the time a building permit is applied for based on the total cost of the project. This deposit will be refunded once the project is completed and all codes have been complied with.
Project Costs
Amount of Deposit Required
$0.00 – $1,500.00 $0.00
$1,501.00 – $25,000.00 $100.00
$25,001.00 – $50,000.00 $250.00
$50,0001.00 – $100,000.00 $500.00
$100,001.00 – and over $1,000.00
  • Once permit is issued it shall be posted at the job site in a visible location from the street
  • Call 1-800-422-5220 for all inspections as instructed and have your permit number ready. The inspector has 48 hours to complete his/her inspections.

The town office also “permits” razing and moving of buildings and requires erosion control. Call for more information.

What if I don’t comply?

Anyone who violates this code shall, upon conviction, forfeit not less than $25.00 nor more than $1,000.00 for each day of non-compliance, together with the cost of prosecution.

The UDC states that agricultural buildings don’t need a permit, what constitutes a farm building?

UDC Engineering consultant Leroy Stublaki, AIA provides the followingdefinition:


This code shall not limit the power of cities, villages and towns to
make, or enforce, additional or more stringent regulations, provided the
regulations do not conflict with this code, or with any other rule of the
department, or law.


Buildings used exclusively for farming purposes. Note: for a definition
of “farming” see s.102.04(3) Stats.